Past continuous tense fiil çekimi zaman, geçmişte başlayan sürekli bir eylemi gösterir.
Devam eden eylemleri de tanımlayan, şimdiki zamanın geçmiş zaman versiyonudur.
Şimdiki ve geçmiş continuous zamanlar çok benzerdir, ancak past continuous zamanda “to be” fiilinin geçmişi olarak “was/were” kullanılır
Genellikle aşağıdaki durumlar için kullanılır
- aynı anda gerçekleşen iki eylem
- geçmişte belirli bir zamanda devam etmekte olan bir eylem
- ikinci bir geçmiş eylem tarafından kesintiye uğrayan geçmiş bir eylem
|positive||S + was/were + V-ing + O||I was speaking||you were speaking|
|negative||S+ was/were not+ V ing+ O||I was not speaking||you were not speaking|
|question||Was + S + Ving+O?||Was I speaking?||Were you speaking?|
Cümle kurulumu örneği/ zamirlere göre
|subject||auxiliary verb||main verb|
|negative||He, she, it||was||not||helping||Mary.|
Spelling Rules/Yazım kuralları
Fiil -e ile bitiyorsa -e silinir. Fakat –ee, -oe ve -ye değişmeden kalır.
- come– coming
- (but: agree– agreeing)
Son ünsüzden önce kısa vurgulu sesli harf bulunan kelimelerde son ünsüz iki tane olur. Ancak, -w, -x ve -y iki katına çıkmaz
- sit – sitting
- (but: mix– mixing)
İngiliz İngilizcesinde bir sesli harften sonra son ünsüz -l her zaman iki tane olur, ancak Amerikan İngilizcesinde değildir.
- travel– travelling (British)
- traveling (American)
Fiil -ie ile bitiyorsa sonundaki harf -y ile değişir
- lie– lying
Past Continuous tense + Past Simple
Genellikle Past Simple tense ile Past Continuous zamanı kullanırız. Uzun bir eylemi ifade etmek için Past Continuous’i kullanırız. Ve uzun eylemin ortasında gerçekleşen kısa bir eylemi ifade etmek için Past Simple’ı kullanırız. İki fikri when veya while birleştirebiliriz.
- uzun aksiyon (watching TV), Past Continuous
- kısa aksiyon (telephoned), Past Simple
I was watching TV when you telephoned.
- Simple past:I did my homework at 7 o’clock. Bu cümle, ödevime 7 yaşında başladığım/bitirdiğim anlamına gelir.
- Past continuous:I was doing my homework at 7 o’clock. Bu cümle, ödevimi yapmanın tam ortasındayım ama 7’den önce başladım ve 7’den sonra yapmaya devam ettim anlamına geliyor.
- when+ short action (Past Simple)
- while+ long action (Past Continuous)
|I was walking past the car||when||it exploded.|
|When||the car exploded||I was walking past it.|
|The car exploded||while||I was walking past it.|
|While||I was walking past the car||it exploded.|
- just as
- while, as long as
- ever, never
- already, just, not … yet
- so far, until now, up to now …
- for, since
Past Continuous Tense Kullanıldığı Yerler
geçmişte belirli bir zamanda devam etmekte olan bir eylem
- At 6 o’clock, I was eating dinner.
- I was working at 10pm last night.
- At sunset, Mike was walking in the park.
- What were you doing at 10pm last night?
- At noon,I was eating lunch with my friends.
- They were not playing football at 9am this morning.
- Lucy was sittingon the beach at six o’clock yesterday.
aynı anda gerçekleşen iki eylem
- I was making dinner when she arrived.
- What were you doing when he arrived?
- I was watchingTV while you were playing with the dog.
- While Lucy was relaxingon the beach, Laurence was sailing.
ikinci bir geçmiş eylem tarafından kesintiye uğrayan geçmiş bir eylem
- Lucy was watchingthe sunset when Laurence passed by on his boat.
- She was cooking when I telephoned her.
- We were having dinner when it started to rain.
- Ram went home early because it was snowing.
- I was having a bath when the telephone rang.
- When I opened the door, John was sleeping
- You are asking why I didn’t call you yesterday. I was working very hard.
Past Continuous Tense Örnek cümleler
- I was bored.
- You were going.
- They were going.
- They weren’t going.
- I was eating apples.
- She was drinking tea.
- We were drinking tea.
- Were they watching TV?
- I was eating an orange.
- I was having breakfast.
- Was she dancing with you?
- Were you listening to me?
- Which tea was he brewing?
- You were staying at home.
- I was not taking a shower.
- We were not going to swim.
- Were you cooking the meal?
- We were not doing homework.
- Were the children laughing?
- He was watering the flowers.
- The singers were not singing.
- I was studying the other night.
- She was dancing when I saw her.
- I was learning German last year.
- She was studying when I saw her.
- He was working when I called him.
- I wasn’t hitting the right notes.
- It was raining yesterday evening.
- Was he learning German last year?
- Was he working when I called him?
- Was it raining yesterday evening?
- I was watching TV when she called.
- I was watching TV when you saw me.
- They were studying math yesterday.
- Were they studying math yesterday?
- I was crying while he was laughing.
- He was cooking while I was studying.
- I was eating lunch when you arrived.
- She was looking for a cheap holiday.
- Sophia was laughing at Steve’s jokes.
- The earthquake was scaring all of us.
- When we arrived he was having a bath.
- You were not doing that at that time.
- My sister was studying in the library.
- Was Sarah needing a friend to talk to?
- Were you crying while he was laughing?
- It was raining while I was watching TV.
- As she was reading the book, Alice came.
- She was always coming late for meetings.
- Was she reading the book when they came?
- Were you watching television last night?
- You were watching television last night.
- Alex saw me while I was playing football.
- I was shaking the bottle when it crashed.
- I was understanding the lesson last week.
- The phone rang while I was taking a bath.
- They were drinking coffee when I arrived.
- Last night at 10 p.m, I was eating dinner.
- My father wasn’t cooking when I came home.
- The sun was shining every day that summer.
- We were eating when our friends showed up.
- You had not been studying English all day.
- The students were not eating their bananas.
- It wasn’t getting so dark when he found her.
- They were going to the movies last Saturday.
- What were you buying from the grocery store?
- While Mary was sleeping I was making a cake.
- At seven o’clock, they were brandishing guns.
- I was washing the dishes when the phone rang.
- Was I washing the dishes when the phone rang?
- Had her daughter been eating anything all day?
- While I was sleeping, my father fixed the car.
- While I was studying at University, I met her.
- Why were you talking about this problem to me?
- You were studying chemistry all day yesterday.
- He was washing the dishes while it was raining.
- We were going to cinema yesterday at this time.
- Yesterday at this time, It was snowing lightly.
- When the fire started I was watching television.
- It was not eating a strawberry a few minutes ago.
- While my mother was preparing dinner, I went out.
- While my father was fixing the car, I watched him.
- I was watching football match on TV when he called.
- My sister was studying her Science exam all evening.
- Frank was not worrying about his daughter’s situation.
- She had not been working all day so she was energetic.
- The police was chasing the man while you were talking.
- The audience was boring because of Abel’s presentation.
- I had not been cooking any meal when she came to my home.
- When Michael was playing video games, Richard was studying.
- Jonathan was not talking anymore because he had a broken heart.
- I was coming from school while my mother was watering the garden.
- Isabel usually sings the song but she was not singing this morning.
- Why was Gregor thinking about Emma’s beauty? He didn’t have any idea.
- The ground was covered with snow. It had been snowing heavy for several hours.
Hafıza teknikleri: Hafızanızı geliştirmeniz için 29 Altın Yöntem [Bilim destekli]
Test&Quiz. Kendinizi test edin
Bu yazılar da ilgini çekebilir;
Bu gönderide, ingilizce have v...
İngilizceden Türkçeye çeviriyi...
Bu makalede uzun vadeli ingili...
Bu makalede ingilizce öğrenme ...
2008’den beri pazarlama dalında çalışıyorum. 2014’ten beri markamuduru.com’da yazıyorum. İnanıyorum ki markalaşma adına ülkemizde inanılmaz bir potansiyel var ve markalaşmak ülkemizi fersah fersah ileri götürecek. Kendini yetiştirmiş marka müdürlerine de bu yüzden çokça ihtiyaç var. Ben de öğrendiklerimi, araştırdıklarımı, bildiklerimi burada paylaşıyorum. Daha fazla bilgi için Hakkımda sayfasını inceleyebilirsiniz.